Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Older Persons in Africa, Article 7
States Parties shall:
- Develop policies and legislation that ensure that older persons who retire from their employment are provided with adequate pensions and other forms of social security;
- Ensure that universal social protection mechanisms exist to provide income security for those older persons who did not have the opportunity to contribute to any social security provisions;
- Ensure that the processes and procedures of accessing pensions are decentralised, simple and dignified;
- Take legislative and other measures to enable individuals to prepare for income security in old age; and
- Take legislative and other measures that facilitate the rights of older Persons to access services from state service providers.